Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Search Engine Project

I chose WolframAlpha, Bing , Yahoo! Search, IceRocket, Alibaba.com, ChaCha, Kayak, and Picsearch as my eight search engines for my search engine project. I am going to be providing information about each search engine and also provide the link to the site.


WolframAlpha logoFirst, I chose WolframAlpha. WolframAlpha provides free access to numerous computational resources. This search engine is mostly used for numerical problem solving and mostly gives numerical data. This site contains an extended keyboard, image input, data input, and file upload into the search bar. Some subjects that can be searched using WolframAlpha are mathematics, words and linguistics, dates and times, sciences, education, and music. I personally like this site. I wish I would've known about when taking statistics and other math classes.

Click here to visit WolframAlpha.com


Bing logo
The second search engine I chose was Bing. Bing is a Microsoft owned search engine. Bing is known as the "decision engine" because it narrows down and filters results. Bing can be used to search any type of information. When searching for information Bing provides videos, location services, related searches, and related pictures. I really don't like Bing because of its layout.  I am so use to using google, and I feel like that has a little to do with why I do not like Bing.





Click here to visit Bing


yahoo search logo
The third search engine I picked is Yahoo, and it is the second largest search engine on the web. Yahoo finds information on the internet by taking the key words entered in the search bar and finding articles or websites that match the criteria entered. Yahoo also provides you with top news, location services, and trending news along with many other great features. I like yahoo because I am
familiar with it, and I find it easy to use.






Click here to visit Yahoo! Search


Icerocket logo
The next search engine I chose was IceRocket. IceRocket is a search engine used to search blogs. It can also be used to search Twitter and Facebook. This search engine filters its information by listing the most recent posts first. Icerocket also has an advanced search bar. The IceRocket home page includes top posts and top searches. I like IceRocket because it lists your results based on what is most current. That gives its users the opportunity to stay up to date on the information they are gathering.



Click here to visit IceRocket


Alibaba logo
The fifth search engine I chose is Alibaba.com. Alibaba is based in China and is the world's largest database of supplies. As a marketplace of imports and exports, Alibaba offers a variety of options to buy and sell merchandise. Listings on this site include merchandise from around the globe. I personally would not use this site, but I think it is neat. It is somewhat similar to amazon. If you are into international goods and merchandise; then you need to check this site out.


Click here to visit Alibaba.com


Cha Cha logoMy next search engine is ChaCha, and it is a question and answer based search engine. It uses a technique known as social searching by paying human "guides" to answer questions for users. I like ChaCha. It is an easy way for me to get a quick response when asking a simple question. I would not used ChaCha if I was doing a research based project.




Click here to visit ChaCha
ChaCha Itunes App
ChaCha Android App


Kayak logo

The seventh research engine I chose is Kayak. Kayak is a metasearch engine for travel. Metasearch engine means that Kayak uses other search engines to produce the results. Kayak searches 140 travel sites at one time in order to find the best deals possible. Kayak allows you to buy tickets and make reservations. I like Kayak because it is an advanced search, and it finds you the best deals. You can search locations based on how many persons to a room you have. Kayak also provides good deals for buying flight tickets.






The last search engine I chose is Picsearch. Picsearch is a web search used to search images. This search engine provides more than 3 billion pictures to search through. I like this site because it has so many pictures that you can search through. It is like google images, and it will take you to the website the picture is located.






Click here to visit Picsearch

No comments:

Post a Comment